Quick Call

The Knighthood House

The Knighthood House is situated at Toompea Hill near the St Mary's Cathedral (Toomkirik). Tourist buses usually park at the foot of Toompea at Falgi tee, wherefrom it is 3 minutes’ walk to the Knighthood House. The Art Museum stands halfway to the lookout platforms opening to the old town and Kopli Peninsula. It takes about 7 minutes to get to the Knighthood House either from Raekoja plats (the Town Square) or Vabaduse valjak (the Liberty Square) coming along Niguliste Street, passing the St Nicholas's Church and taking the stairs (Luhike jalg Street) up to Toompea.
Toompea Hill was the town residence of the gentry until the 20th century. The Knighthood, who had their own house similarly to the guild, emerged as the local class authority of the gentry. While two of the Knighthood’s houses had been destroyed in fires and the third one was not large enough, a new two-storeyed neo-renaissant house was built after the design of the architect Georg Winterhalter for the Estonian Knighthood in 1845–1848. It was among the first of its kind in Tallinn; the eclectic style interior has for the most part been preserved until the present.
During 1920–1940 this building was the seat of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Estonia and from 1948 to 1992 the Estonian National Library was situated here. On April 1, 1993 the exposition of the Art Museum of Estonia was reopened in the Knighthood House, while the Kadriorg Palace, in the Art Museum’s disposal science 1946, had been closed in September, 1991 due to the total deterioration.