Quick Call

Art Museum Of Estonia

The Art Museum of Estonia was founded on November 17, 1919, but it was not until 1921 that it got its first permanent building — the Kadriorg Palace, built in the 18th century. In 1929 the palace was expropriated from the Art Museum in order to rebuild it as the residence of the President of Estonia. The Art Museum of Estonia was housed in several different temporary buildings, until it moved back to the palace in 1946. In September, 1991 the Kadriorg Palace was closed due to total deterioration. For the present the Knighthood House at Toompea Hill serves as the temporary main building of the Art Museum of Estonia. The exposition here was opened on April 1, 1993. In summertime the exposition introducing the classics of Estonian fine art from the 19th century to World War II is displayed here. In the rest of the year temporary exhibitions of works from the museum’s own collections, but also visiting exhibitions are held.
At the end of the 1970s and in the 1980s the first branches of the Art Museum of Estonia were founded. In 1995 was founded the Pedagogical Center for Children and Youths (SIKSAK). The Exhibition Hall on the ground floor of Rotermann Salt Storage was opened in 1996. Summer 2000 in restored Kadriorg Palace as a branche of Art Museum of Estonia was opened Museum of Foreign Art. At present there are eight active branches of the Art Museum of Estonia.
On January 1, 2001 the collections of the Art Museum of Estonia comprised 63 344 items (medieval painting and wooden sculpture, West-European and Russian fine and applied art, national applied art, Baltic-German art, classical and contemporary Estonian fine art).
Address: Weizenbergi, 34